Vegetables & Rice
Brussel Sprouts With Za’atar and Smoky Citrus Salt
Prep Time: 15 min Cook Time: 20 min Total Time: 35 min Difficulty: Easy Servings: 2
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts
- 3-4 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Za’atar
- 1 teaspoon of smoky citrus salt or more to taste
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic
- Chop up garlic
- Slice Brussels sprouts into thin slices length wise
- Put 2 Tablespoons of oil in frying pan
- Heat up pan to medium high temp and add garlic
- Cook garlic until golden color
- Add rest of oil and Brussels sprouts
- Add seasonings and mix all together
- Cook for 20 minutes or to desired level crispness
Grilled Turmeric Sichuan Cauliflower
- 1 Head cauliflower
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Sichuan peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Prepare grill for medium heat. Place cauliflower on large sheet of aluminum foil and rub with other ingredients. Wrap with foil and grill for 30 minutes. Unwrap, increase grill heat and char directly on grill surface. Slice and serve.
Jicama With Chili Lime
Prep Time: 15 min Total Time: 15 min Difficulty: Easy Servings: 4-6 Source: Mary Partin
- 1 jicama
- Chile lime seasoning
Seasoned jicama sticks to serve with drinks or as part of relish tray.
Peel jicama and slice into sticks or thin slices. Sprinkle to taste with chili lime seasoning. Serve as an appetizer or side dish.
Potato Hash With Ginger And Shichimi Togarashi
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic (more to taste) minced
- 1/2 teaspoon shichimi togarashi (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4T vegetable oil
- 1T olive oil
- Salt and pepper
A potato hash, with flavors from Cajun cuisine fused with a little kick of Japanese spice.
Salt and pepper diced potatoes, heat vegetable oil in a skillet. Brown potatoes but do not fully cook, then remove to a paper towel lined bowl dish to absorb excess oil.
In a clean skillet, add olive oil and onion, and slowly cook until translucent. Add bell pepper, celery, garlic, ginger and togarashi. Cook together until bell and celery are very tender. Add togarashi to taste. Mix potatoes into vegetable hash and simmer until potatoes are tender.
Roasted Berbere Chickpeas
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 40 min Total Time: 50 min Difficulty: Easy Servings: 8 Source: Mary Partin
- 2 cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed, and spread on a paper towel to dry
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 teaspoons berbere seasoning to taste
- salt to taste
- Spicy, crispy chickpeas With an Ethiopian accent, for snacking or adding a crunch to salads and soups.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Toss chickpeas with oil and berbere seasoning, starting with 3-4 teaspoons. Add more seasoning and salt to suit your taste.
- Spread chickpeas in a rimmed baking pan, and roast 30-40 minutes, until crisp and browned.
- Stir after first 10-15 minutes, and bake about 15 minutes or more until browned and crisp.
- Cool thoroughly before storing. Store in sealed container to preserve crispness.
Roasted Carrots With Harissa
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 25 min Total Time: 35 min Difficulty: Easy Servings: 4-6 Source: Mary Partin
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 lime, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon harissa spice blend
- salt to taste
- Nicely spiced, tender carrots. Garnish with Greek yogurt or creme fraiche, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Toss carrots with oil, bay leaves and lime slices. Spread mixture into even layer on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with harissa blend and cumin.
- Cover with foil and bake about 12 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 10-13 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoons salt to to taste, and place in serving dish.
- Garnish with Greek yogurt or creme fraiche, if desired.
Roasted Smashed Baby Potatoes With Za’tar
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 20 min Total Time: 30 min Difficulty: Easy Servings: 4 Source: Mary Partin
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons za’atar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
Smashed Roasted Potatoes seasoned with za’atar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Bring pot of salted water to a boil, and add baby potatoes.
- Cook until barely tender, approximately 10 minutes. Drain, and place in foil lined roasting pan.
- Using a small glass, gently smash potatoes into disks, keeping potato intact. Drizzle olive oil on potatoes, and sprinkle with dry seasonings. Stir gently.
- Roast approximately 20 minutes until slightly crisped. May carefully broil them briefly for more crispness.
- Place in serving side and serve.